Spring break kind of sucked. I spent most of the time working with a few different augmented reality development tools to try to figure out what would be the best to use for thesis and a couple of other projects I’m working on the involved AR. I felt like I wasted a ton of time working on tech stuff that is pretty tough to do while not spending enough time on the more creative and interesting parts of my thesis. But I guess I was going to have to do it at one point or another. I have a pretty decent version of my AR stuff working with Unity and NyARToolkit, which I think I’m just going to accept and go forward with. The major drawback of NyARToolkit is that the AR fiducial markers have to have big black squares around them, which reads as a very obvious tech thing. This doesn’t necessarily bother me depending on the context but it would be nice if I could use natural images and textures to fit with the scenes more. If I run out of time to make the AR really look good, I’m fine with dropping it, but if I can get it to look good I think it could take things to a cool place.
I also spent a lot of time figuring out the wireless control setup for the cat as well as the power. Wireless is a little frustrating but I developed a system that works fairly reliably and is pretty simple. If I have time I would like to make it more complex. The power situation is more tricky. I need a lot of amperage for the cat to run well. Because the wireless signal and servos run on the same power, the wireless cuts out when the servos draw too much power, which creates a lot of problems. The audio and camera are working fine though, so I just need to find a way to get more current to the JeeNode. I’m meeting with Eric Rosenthal today to discuss my power budget.
So there’s still a lot of parts that I’m figuring out but I think things are coming along.
I also need to make a stage. Eek.