finishing the prints

Once I had the prints of the story I worked more on the 3d models, using the print as a texture.  I tried a lot of different poses and wanted to come up with one that looked nice and conveyed the emotion of the story.

I had three different prints to try, one was very clean but cut off two of the characters on the right side.  Another was slightly messy and the third was a bit faded.  I was interested in how each would look.  I tried texturing one of the poses with each, and then chose the clean version.

Clean:

e-frame-cutoff

Faded:

e-frame-faded

Messy:

e-frame-messy

 

I also tried a few different poses with the model before printing.  I ended up choosing the above pose because I felt it conveyed emotion and was sort of pixar ish but not too much.

 

a-frame b-frame c-frame d-frame

 

After choosing the pose and texture, I set up the file at AMS, tested a bunch of prints to see how it would look, then adjusted the camera angle, lighting and document setup, which took about ten test prints.  Finally I had a decent print, I knew it wasn’t 100% but I decided it probably would never be exactly perfect.  So I printed about 30 copies, then cut each one on the table cutter to get rid of the extra 3″ of height on my 17″ paper so I had a bunch of 11″x14″ prints.

Then I took them home and painted them with the liquid mask.  This took a while because I was basically painting with glue and trying to be really careful not to gum it up or go over the margins of the art.  The first batch I didn’t leave to dry long enough and the resulting prints were really messy.  The next batch I let dry overnight and had much better results.  After the mask dried, I screen printed over it, let them dry overnight, then pulled off the mask.

Painting the mask:

IMG_0283

Removing the mask:

IMG_0296

A clean print:

IMG_0286

A messy print:

IMG_0287

So I was a little freaked out when a few of the prints were kind of messy, and emailed Anthony about just turning in digital prints but I calmed down a little and realized the messiness is worth having the cool combination of screen print and digital print.  It was going to be experimental and the messiness reflects the disruption between the digital and analog world that I was interested in exploring in the first place.  I feel like the combo prints don’t jump out as much as the digital prints do on their own, but they kind of force you to look closer to see what’s going on.  So I turned in the edition to Anthony on Friday.

Advertisements

Author: owen ribbit

poop

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s